Sunday 13 October 2013

Am I a "fit" chocolate lover?

Okay, I'll admit it. Though the title of this blog would lead you to think otherwise, I'm not actually that fit.

When I started this blog, I wanted to emphasise the point that you can be fit and healthy but still enjoy the delicious things in life such as chocolate, without the need to deprive yourself or employ huge amounts of "willpower". While I don't think it's wise to binge on lots of chocolate all the time, the ability to indulge is really important to me. What kind of a life is that anyway, where you have to stop yourself from eating amazing food all the time? I guess that's why I feel the need to make paleo treats and baked goods, because even though I follow a healthy paleo lifestyle, I'll always have a sweet tooth and a love of creating beautiful desserts.

Now, back to my point. While I have indeed lost 15kg over the past 9 or so months, not much of that was due to exercise. You know the old adage - weightloss is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise? I guess it depends on what starting point you came from, but for me it definitely holds true. However, I do want to be more active as well! Because I know it's good for my health, because I want to be able to participate in life to the fullest, because I want to be able to play a casual game of tennis for more than half an hour. Not to mention I would like to strengthen and tone my muscles as well (can't hurt that summer is around the corner for us down in the southern hemisphere).

Of course, walking is the easiest way to keep up activity levels but I'd really like to get into more resistance training - and even yoga! I think yoga would be great for stress levels as well as flexibility. Having Hashimoto's disease (more on that in an upcoming post), I'm more and more aware of the total balance of health, not just what shows up on the scales. Keeping your stress levels down, getting enough sleep and feeding your body healthy food is really important to the whole population, not just those with autoimmune diseases.

Chocolate lover, yes, no question. Fit - watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment